Sunday, December 24, 2006

Feliz Natal!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Here in Brazil it's raining and I have no christmas feeling what so ever. Unfortunatley.
I have baked som ginger cookies and saffron buns, a must if you're a swede like me. Now the traditional ¨Vörtbröd¨ is about to be put in the oven as well. Vörtbröd is a traditional swedish bread which is made with different spices such as cardamon, fennel and anise among others. You can either make it with water or beer. I chose to go for beer and I can tell you the bread does smell of beer.
It's a very pleasant smell though and I can't wait to eat it with the rosted ham that's in the oven at the moment.

Here in Brazil I must say the christmas food is a bit boring, well at least what I've seen. I haven't seen anything that I've gone: ¨Oooh¨ for. The only thing that is a must have on the brazilian christmas table is Pannettone. Yes, fruitcake. I prefer the chocolate one though.
If anyone knows any typical brazilian christmas food, please do tell me. I might have missed it.

Well this christmas is a very light christmas, I have eaten so much meat this week that I will have problems eating the ham I fear. I made some cardamon tryffles and some mulled wine tryffles yesterday. Very nice although I would have like the mulled wine tryffles to have a stronger flavour. Next time I'll make it stronger.

Now I'm just going to figure out something delicious to make of the saffron that has been left over as I don't want to make anymore saffron buns.

Anne has posted about saffronbuns.

Merry Christmas! Feliz Natal! God Jul!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came here thru your comment on Scott's Real Epicurean. I hope you had a great Christmas and the nice food you prepared made up for the boring Christmas in Brazil! :)
I didn't know Swedish food uses so many of the spices that we use a lot of in Indian cooking. Blogging, I must say, has been a real good educator and eye-opener for me. I'll be back soon! :)
Merry Christmas, Linda!

Linda @ Brazilian Food Love said...

Vani: I love spices! You can do what ever you want with them, it's only your imagination that stops you! :)

Scott: Thanks!

A merry christmas, happy holiday to both of you!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled up on your blog, glad you are giving us an english version...my swedish is about as good as my spanish.